Monday: 100503 Primal Challenge Day 15

Posted: May 2, 2010 by Todd Katz in Nutrition, Primal Challenge, Uncategorized
Tags: , ,

Artificial sweetners? Also bad stuff! I have given this up! It was tough, but I really don’t want to go back! (and for this challenge we are still staying away from all sugar) PLEASE WATCH THIS ENTIRE VIDEO:

Comments
  1. bobbyk says:

Pre and post WOD:

Monounsaturated 5.3 47 11 %
    Carbohydrate 40.2 146 34 %
    Dietary Fiber 5.8
    Protein 41.9 162 38 %
    Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat (28%) Carbs (34%)
    Protein (38%) Alcohol (0%)

2. Jon says:

Interesting article relating to what we’re all going through. Remember the nutrition talk, and the discussion about Post-workout meals? Direct correllation. I’d love to hear your comments, Coach T.

Attention (Primal & Paleo) Athletes! Learn From My Mistakes (http://rbbodywork.com/wordpress/?p=497)

Recently I have been blogging about the great results my husband and I have been experiencing since we began following a Primal diet (completely free of all grains & processed foods) in early March – namely weight loss and increased energy. Encouraged by one of my health icons and author of The Primal Blueprint, Mark Sisson, I decided to finally ditch the last bit of grains that were moonlighting our meals and to replace them with extra vegetables. We had greens with our morning eggs. We had more greens at lunch, and delicious buttery greens with dinner. I got into such a green groove that I was even ignoring my daily serving or two of fruit.

Yes, we ate a lot of greens! But those of you who have Zoned (or anyone who has counted food grams), know that if you were only getting your carb calories from greens, you’d have to eat bucket amounts to reach your daily requirements. We were eating as many greens as any person could, but not buckets! As a result, we were pounds lighter in a matter of weeks! Of course we were both delighted to see our flatter, more defined mid sections in the mirror, and we both felt great – more energized (which is on the verge of crazy for me) and more focused. And because we had more than doubled our fat intake, neither one of us ever felt hungry. I felt like I was finally getting closer to what some of the top Paleo crossfiter’s must feel like.

And then I did the Crossfit Total and found that I all of my PR’s had dropped significantly since I’d done the Total a few months prior. WTH! I knew I had dropped a few pounds (I was guessing fat pounds), but I was Primal now. Shouldn’t I be able to crank out the reps and move more weight? I scratched my head as I got on the scale for the first time in a week. Then I got off and on the scale two more times. Did I really lose close to 10 pounds in 4 weeks? And how much of that was muscle?

When I shared my news with Chris that day, he complained that he too had been experiencing a decrease in muscle strength. Even before he stepped on the scale, I began to come out of my skinny delirium, noticing that my handsome husband suddenly looked thin & frail. “What have I done to us!” I blurted. He too had lost over 8 pounds. I’d obviously missed something along the recent way. But what?

A few days later, we put our new featherweights to the test when we competed amongst our heavyweight peers at a local Crossfit challenge. The results: a lot of fun, with little gains. “Little” specifically describes the strength we felt, particularly during the heavy lifting event. I’d had enough. I decided to cry the blues (excuses) to anyone who would listen that day. And everyone did. Thank you Mara, George, Mike, Holly, and anyone else whose ear I rattled.

So Here’s what I Learned & Was Reminded Of:

My mistake: I got so engrossed in something new that I forgot about the old important information I knew, like the critical role of carbohydrates in an athletes training program, particularly replenishing glycogen levels by “crab/protein” loading immediately following a workout.
    For the average person (someone whose exercise includes daily walks and one or two days of light weight training), the kind of diet I was following was perfect; it’s loaded with nutrients, and because it’s low glycemic it’s the easiest most natural way to lose and maintain a healthy weight. But I’m not average. I Crossfit 4-5 days a week! Any athlete, or person who engages in regular high intensity exercise, MUST incorporate high calorie carbohydrates during heavy training days. Green vegetables are NOT high calorie carbs. How could I have forgotten that?

How to Enjoy Fat Loss WITHOUT Losing Muscle: “Carb Loading” – Replenish muscle & liver glycogen immediately following a strenuous workout *this applies to typical Crossfit workouts (heavy lifting, sprinting, high intensity met-cons). Endurance athletes also need to reload during their workout.
    How to Carb Load: With starchy carbs and some protein. No fat. A typical ratio is 3:1 (carb: protein) – this is the only time you want to eat a higher glycemic carb, without any fat, because the goal is to absorb the insulin quickly in order to replenish the glycogen levels immediately
    WHAT to Carb Load With: Now don’t go getting all excited you pasta lovers! I am in NO WAY talking about Crappy carb loading. The best whole food carbohydrate sources include yams/sweet potatoes, bananas, pumpkin, melons, apple sauce, raisins)
    A few Points to be made:

This proves what I’ve always stressed to my clients – DIET is accountable for 80% or more of your weight. All I did different was cut out grains (rice, pasta, corn, etc.) AND add more fat, and I lost nearly 10 pounds!
    This also proves that when you remove Grains & Processed Carbs from your diet, you won’t gain weight no matter how much heart healthy Fat (nuts, olives, olive oil, coconut, avocado, butter) you eat!
    Endurance athletes – there is something to be said about Fat Loading, which is basically what I was doing every day. The majority of my daily calories were from fat (I’m guessing at least 55% fat) and I was rarely hungry. I would train clients for 3 – 5 hours per day, massage one or two people a day, do a Crossfit workout, often walk 90 minutes on the golf course…) and I had sustained energy (and little hunger) the entire day.
    Bottom Line

The Primal diet is GREAT. I have felt better than ever since I eliminated grains & other processed foods from my diet. BUT as an athlete, you MUST continue to “carb load” post workouts ESPECIALLY if you are following a Primal or Paleo diet because most of your carbohydrates are coming from low calorie carbs such as vegetables and low glycemic fruit.

• Todd Katz says:

Hey Jon, thanks for posting this. I read it this morning on the affiliate blog. One of the big reasons I’m harping on 40% carbs in your diet is for exactly this reason and why I want you/everyone to use fitday to see what their macronutirent breakout is. Now given that however, I would also argue that this entire effort is an experiment of one… what works for you may not work for someone else, so experimenting with your ratios is not a bad idea either. Also, losing 10 pounds in one month is definitely a fast way to lose weight… and I know many of you have lost some weight in that ballpark. There will probably be a drop in strength… let me know. We have some experience with this as well… If you drop too much weight too quickly, you are going to lose MASS (some of which must be muscle). If it happens more slowly, you are going to adapt and probably won’t lose too much strength in the process…. if it happens quickly, putting on more weight (as what she describes above) is not the only answer. Muscle size is not the only factor that has an affect on force production… Other factors include neuromuscular coordination, fiber type, age, angle of penation…. none of which she addressed in her blog.

My continued advice is to stay primal but at ratios of 40/30/30.
      Lose weight if that’s your goal.
      Continue your CrossFit practice despite a temporary loss of strength… as you become lighter other postive elements will help take over. (e.g., decreased body fat, increase of %lean muscle mass, quickness, power, etc..)

• Wee Ali says:

Nice article Jon, thanks for sharing and thanks for your response Todd! I hear a lot of people saying that they are not feeling the increase in energy, I think what Todd mentions about playing with the ratios might help…….but I am no expert :)

• Sarah (salbec) says:

thanks for sharing this here Jon and Todd. Definitely her experience is what I’m hearing lots of people in our group saying, workouts harder, loss of energy. I’ve heard Todd say this many times and he’s right: this is an individual thing, an experiment of one. I find myself tweaking regularly. As an endurance athlete myself (lots of cycling and running in addition to 4-5 days of crossfit) I definitely find myself chasing the additional carbs to build that ratio and achieve my performance goals.

Cheers!
        Sarah

• Kathleen L says:

After reading the article, I went and found this site that shows how many carbs are in different types of veggies. Food for thought on add some high carb veggies. K

3. Jon says:

And a recipe. From “Kat” at Crossfit LKN (http://crossfitlkn.wordpress.com/paleo-receipes-by-kat/) There are some other nice looking recipes that use either honey or agave syrup. Pumpkin pie anyone?

Glazed Chicken and Vegetables: this one I got from the Cookbook Cooking for Health and Performance-by Scott Hagnus, Robb Wolf and Nicki Violetti. It was so good I wanted to share it.

4 lg chicken breast
    2 sweet potato
    4 carrots
    2 green apple
    3 TBSP olive oil
    2 TBSP chopped onion
    2 tsp curry powder
    1/4 tsp crush red pepper
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp mustard powder

Preheat oven 374. Brush chicken with olive oil and place in pyrex dish, cook until chicken is rare and take out dish. Slice and boil sweet potatoes and carrots until tender but firm. Add to oven dish with sliced apples.

In a sauce pan combine last 6 ingredients, Stir continuously until glaze comes to a boil. Spoon evenly over chicken and vegetables. Return dish to oven and cook until chicken is completely cooked.

Sweet Potato Side Dish: This is one that I like to make and it is fast and easy.

Take sweet potatos and slice to about 1/4 in thick. in a bowl mix sweet potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with cinnamon to your taste. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet lined with foil and bake at 350 for 10 min and flip. Bake another 10 min. Serve with a protien of your choice after a hard workout and enjoy!

Pineapple Salsa (great over grilled steak or chicken)

4 pineapple rings (grilled or not) diced
    1 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 c diced red onion
    1/4 c chopped cilantro
    2 TBSP lime juice
    1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil

Mix all the ingriendents and serve over protein!

4. Carol says:

Weight 98lbs…weird, I go up and down!!
    Lunch:
    Arugula salad with oil, vinegar dressing; guacamole; chicken; orange
    Total Calories=426 f=44%; c=20%; p=36%

5. Wee Ali says:

My goal for this week is to have my second protein shake at night as my protein intake is too low.

6. Haley says:

From The Affiliate Blog Jon sent…I am definately trying this. Anything with bread in the title is worth a try.

Banana/Coconut Bread
    1 & ¼ cup almond meal
    2 tsp baking powder
    ¼ tsp baking soda
    ½ cup fruit puree (of your choice, just make sure there is no added stuff other than 100% fruit)
    ¼ tsp cinnamon
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    3 large ripe banana, meshed
    ¼ cup flaxseed flour
    chopped walnuts & coconut flakes (unsweetened)
    combine the first 7 ingredients then add the meshed banana, flaxseed flour, mixed well. Add chopped walnuts and coconut flakes and fold them into the batter (do not over-mix at this point!) Bake in a 350F oven for 45 minutes or check with a toothpick. Let the bread rest for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

7. carrie says:

Lunch:Spinach, raw cupbunchleafbaby leafgramskglboz 10 0.2 1.6 1.3
    Egg, whole, cooked cupeggextra largejumbolargemediumsmallgramskglboz 167 12.2 1.3 12.3
    Fat (63%) Carbs (6%)
    Protein (31%) Alcohol (0%)

Okay, the above is lunch. I have to admit that for the past few days I have not eatten enough calories… and just what I could have predicted, today I fell off the Paleo wagon. I’ve broken just about all the rules. I’m exhausted and just not into it. HELP!

8. Josh says:

Weight 231

Break fast and lunch going for low carbs to maximize some weight loss according to Primal Blueprint.

Food Name Amount Unit Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g) Delete
    Total 815 49.6 27.1 65.1
    Ham, fresh, cooked 3 thin slice (approx 4-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ x 1/8″) 171 11.0 0.0 16.8
    Egg omelet or scrambled egg 2 large egg 192 14.3 2.3 13.6
    Apple, raw 1 medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb) 72 0.2 19.1 0.4
    Beef, tenderloin, separable lean only, trimmed to 1/8″ fat, … 4 oz 234 10.3 0.0 32.9
    Carrots, raw 0.25 cup 11 0.1 2.6 0.3

Apple, raw 1 medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb) 72 0.2 19.1 0.4
      Carrots, raw 0.25 cup 11 0.1 2.6 0.3
      Mixed salad greens, raw 1 cup, shredded or chopped 9 0.1 1.8 0.8
      Olive oil 1 tablespoon 119 13.5 0.0 0.0
      Tomatoes, raw 2 cherry 6 0.1 1.3 0.3
      Apple, raw 0.25 medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb) 18 0.1 4.8 0.1
      Chicken, breast, skin not eaten 3 oz, boneless, cooked, skinless 137 3.0 0.0 25.8
      Mixed salad greens, raw 1 cup, shredded or chopped 9 0.1 1.8 0.8

Monounsaturated 25.7 230 23 %
      Carbohydrate 39.4 144 14 %
      Dietary Fiber 9.1
      Protein 92.4 386 38 %
      Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

9. kb says:

Pretty close to zone today. Think I’ll throw in a protein shake before bed as well to get a little more..the gatorade was post 60 minute run. Found some cheese to add to a couple of things. Wow, the unpasturized variety is $$$$.

Food Name Amount Unit Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g) Delete
    Total 1,628 88.6 125.7 100.9
    Protein Powder 2 1 serving 110 0.5 2.0 25.0
    almond milk 2 serving 120 5.0 16.0 2.0
    Strawberries, raw 3 medium (1-1/4″ dia) 12 0.1 2.8 0.2
    Banana, raw 1 extra small (less than 6″ long) 72 0.3 18.5 0.9
    Almonds 2 oz (22 whole kernels) 328 28.7 11.2 12.1
    Shrimp, cooked 3 medium shrimp (shelled) 22 0.4 0.2 4.1
    Mushrooms, portabella, grilled (a.k.a. Portobello) 1 cup sliced 42 0.9 5.9 5.2
    Squash, summer, zucchini, includes skin, cooked, boiled, dra… 1 cup, sliced 29 0.1 7.1 1.2
    Peppers, red, cooked 1 cup 54 2.2 8.8 1.4
    Sports drink, QUAKER OATS, GATORADE, fruit-flavored, ready-t… 1 serving 8 fl oz 63 0.2 15.4 0.0
    Apple, raw 1 medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb) 72 0.2 19.1 0.4

Monounsaturated 43.8 374 23 %
    Carbohydrate 125.7 474 29 %
    Dietary Fiber 30.6
    Protein 100.9 390 24 %
    Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat (47%) Carbs (29%)
    Protein (24%) Alcohol (0%)

10. NickyB says:

Shrimp, 6 medium shrimp 43 0.7 0.4 8.3
    Steak, cooked 8 oz, 568 33.7 0.0 62.1
    Total 2,033 95.0 179.5 131.5
    Carbs 33% protein 26% Fat 41%

11. Nick O says:

bw: 198 (-2)

Food Name Amount Unit Cals Fat (g) Carbs Prot (g)
    Total 549 19.1 45.6 61.6
    Chicken Breast 2 serving 200 2 0 48
    Carrots 0.5 cup 41 1.9 6 0.6
    Broccoli 3 cup 308 15.2 39.6 13.1

Fat (30%) Carbs (29%)
    Protein (40%) Alcohol (0%)

food log: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=nickfowen

12. Dean says:

..a little sweetpotato with dinner this eve, still it didnt look bad on my stats.

“Protein powder”,105,”grams”,420,9.4,51.4,32.5
    “Bacon, cooked”,0.3,”cup, pieces”,130,10,0.3,8.9
    “Egg, whole, cooked, omelet”,3,”large”,287,22,1.3,19.4
    “Apple, raw”,1,”medium (2-3/4″” dia) (approx 3 per lb)”,72,0.2,19.1,0.4
    “Almond butter”,0.3,”tablespoon”,30,2.8,1,0.7
    “Spinach, cooked”,0.6,”cup”,47,2.6,4.3,3.4
    “Tomatoes, raw”,0.4,”medium whole (2-3/5″” dia)”,9,0.1,1.9,0.4
    “Tuna, canned, water pack”,76,”grams”,88,0.6,0,19.4
    “Mixed nuts”,0.4,”cup”,350,32,12.3,9.4
    “Lamb or mutton stew with vegetables (including carrots, broc…”,2,”cup”,607,21.1,32.2,68.9
    “Sweet potato, cooked, boiled, without skin (a.k.a. Sweetpota…”,0.5,”medium”,57,0.1,13.4,1

Fat: 42%
    Carbs: 26%
    Protein: 32%

Total – 2098,101.1,137.2,164.5

13. Kathleen L says:

Food Name Amount Unit Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g) Delete
    Total 1,459 60.0 92.4 143.7
    Pineapple, raw 0.5 cup, diced 37 0.1 9.8 0.4
    Cantaloupe (muskmelon), raw 0.5 cup 27 0.1 6.4 0.7
    Turkey bacon, cooked 3 thin slice (yield after cooking) 92 6.7 0.7 7.1
    Egg, whole, cooked 1 large 83 6.1 0.6 6.1
    Olive oil 2 tablespoon 239 27.0 0.0 0.0
    Lettuce, salad with assorted vegetables including tomatoes a… 4 cup 51 0.5 11.1 2.5
    Chicken, breast, skin not eaten 4 oz 186 4.0 0.0 34.9

Monounsaturated 28.4 251 17 %
    Carbohydrate 92.4 337 23 %
    Dietary Fiber 16.9
    Protein 143.7 595 41 %
    Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat (36%) Carbs (23%)
    Protein (41%) Alcohol (0%)

14. Wee Ali says:

Food log for today:

Calories a little higher than normal (1962) but my ratios were okay (carbs 32%, fat 42%, protein 26%). Is 6 pieces of fruit plus a cup of berries too much fruit for one day? Getting back into having a shake before dinner to boost my protein intake.

15. Mark Krulikowski says:

Fat (53%) Carbs (22%) Protein (25%)

Raspberries, red, raw 2 cup 128 1.6 29.4 3.0
    Blackberries, raw 2 cup 124 1.4 27.7 4.0
    Lettuce, salad with egg, tomato, and/or carrots, with or wit… 0.47 lb 114 5.8 7.7 8.0
    Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled 0.5 lb 379 27.7 5.0 25.2

Total 1,885 77.9 137.8 165.5
    Egg, whole, boiled 2 large 154 10.6 1.1 12.5
    strawberries-1c. 1/2s 1.5 serving 74 0.0 18.0 1.5
    Spinach, raw 5 cup 34 0.6 5.4 4.3
    Tomatoes, raw 2 medium slice (1/4″ thick) 7 0.1 1.6 0.4
    Apple, raw 1 medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb) 72 0.2 19.1 0.4
    Chicken, breast, roasted, broiled, or baked, skin not eaten 10 oz, boneless, cooked, skinless 458 9.9 0.0 86.1
    Broccoli, raw 2 cup 60 0.7 11.7 5.0
    Banana, raw 2 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) 210 0.8 53.9 2.6
    chili infused olive oil 2 serving 240 26.0 0.0 0.0
    Almonds 0.25 oz (22 whole kernels) 41 3.6 1.4 1.5
    Beef steak, broiled or baked, lean only eaten 6 oz, boneless, cooked, lean only 318 11.3 0.0 50.7
    garlic infused oil 1 serving 120 14.0 0.0 0.0

Monounsaturated 24.9 223 12 %
    Carbohydrate 137.8 504 27 %
    Dietary Fiber 28.3
    Protein 165.5 686 36 %
    Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat (37%) Carbs (27%)
    Protein (36%) Alcohol (0%)

17. Lori Sam says:

Radish, raw 2 medium (3/4″ to 1″ dia) 1 0.0 0.3 0.1
    Vinegar, balsamic 2 tbsp 28 0.0 5.4 0.2
    Vegetable stew without meat 3 cup 399 7.0 69.3 19.1
    Protein Shake – Isopure 1 serving 210 1.0 0.0 50.0
    Apple, raw 1 medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb) 72 0.2 19.1 0.4

18. Kristi says:

Darn it.. my protein # was low again. I think I need to fit in a protein shake every day.. rather now though.

Egg omelet 3 large egg, 288, 21.4, 3.5, 20.
    Pepper, raw 0.5 cup, 15, 0.1, 3.5, 0.6
    Ham, fresh, cooked 0.5 cup, cooked, diced, 182, 11.7, 0.0 17.9
    Mixed salad greens, raw 4 cup, shredded 38, .5, 7.1, 3.3
    Pistachio nuts 0.5 cup, shelled 364, 29.4, 17.3, 13.7
    Carrots, baby, raw 0.5 lb, 79, 0.3, 18.7, 1.5
    Olive oil 1 tablespoon, 119, 13.5, 0.0, 0.0
    Vinegar, balsamic 3 tbsp, 42, 0.0, 8.2, 0.2
    Egg, white only, cooked 1 cup, 84, 0.3, 1.2, 17.7
    Raw Parmigiano Reggiano 3 serving, 60, 4.5, 0.0, 6.0
    Grapes, raw 2 cup, 221, 0.5, 57.9, 2.3
    Total = 1,493, 82.3, 117.2, 83.7

Fat (48%) Carbs (30%) Protein (22%)

19. Jon says:

Fat(55%)/Carbs(19%)/Protein(26%) – 2900 calories.

20. Katelyn says:

21.6

1.7

Apple, raw

110

29.3

0.6

Squash, winter, butternut, cooked, baked, with salt

10.8

0.9

Almond butter

101

9.5

3.4

2.4

Squash, summer, zucchini, includes skin, cooked, boiled, dra…

5.3

6.1

Almond Milk

0.6

2.0

Coffee

0.3

Cashew nuts, roasted, without salt

329

258

Alcohol

21. Sheeds says:

Breakfast:
    scoop protein, banana, pineapple (1c), mango 1c., almond milk
    2 hb eggs

apple, handful of almonds, dried mango mixture

chicken breast, 2 slices avocado, 1/2 cup of tomatoes with fresh basil

pumpkin seeds 1/4 cup
    cup of berries

3/4 eggwhites, protein powder, tbsp almond butter, banana pancake- yums

fitday: breakfast, lunch, snack.
    Egg, whole, raw

Cauliflower, cooked 162 10.9 14.4 6.3
    Squash, zucchini cooked 29 0.1 7.1 1.2
    Spinach, cooked 78 4.4 7.2 5.6
    Chicken, breast 277 10.9 0.0 41.9
    Total 546 26.3 28.7 55.0
    Fat 43% Protein 39% Carbs 19%

I thought my numbers would be so much better. The plate was almost all veggies. Guess not enough:(

23. Scott says:

Total for Day Fat (28%) Carbs (29%) Protein (42%)

Weight: 182 (-3)

serving
    240
    3.0
    6.0
    48.0
    Bacon, cooked
    thin slice (yield after cooking)
    4.2
    3.7
    Strawberries, raw
    0.5
    cup
    5.8
    0.5
    Grapefruit, raw
    large (approx 4-1/2″ dia)
    106
    0.3
    26.8
    2.1
    Fish, halibut, cooked, with skin (Alaska Native)
    oz
    0.6
    1,805
    57.7
    144.3
    191.4

24. Haley says:

Made a yummy almond and pecan encrusted tilapia tonight…YUM and crunchy which was nice.

Food Name Amount Unit Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g) Delete

Monounsaturated 43.4 374 25 %
    Carbohydrate 81.9 304 21 %
    Dietary Fiber 19.8
    Protein 114.2 454 31 %
    Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat (48%) Carbs (21%)
    Protein (31%) Alcohol (0%)

25. mel says:

Total 1,328 51.0 109.0 122.0
    Almost got ratio: about 1/3 of everything across board —
    best meal proportionate:
    lunch: chicken breast, cooked spinach, strawberries/grapes.

Banana, raw 1 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) 105 0.4 27.0 1.3
    Almond butter 1 tablespoon 101 9.5 3.4 2.4
    Chicken, breast, skin not eaten 5 oz, boneless, cooked, skinless 229 5.0 0.0 43.1
    Watermelon, raw 2 cup 91 0.5 23.0 1.9

17.3
    2.8
    16.5
    Coffee
    coffee cup (6 fl oz)
    Apple, raw
    medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb)
    19.1
    11.7
    1.0
    Blackberries, raw
    oz yields
    2.6
    0.4
    Fish, halibut, greenland, cooked, dry heat
    oz
    7.7
    Ham, minced
    oz
    5.9
    0.5
    4.6
    Alcoholic beverage, wine, table, red
    serving 5 fl oz

Strawberries, raw
    oz
    109
    1.0
    26.1
    2.3
    Chicken, breast, skin not eaten
    oz, boneless, cooked, skinless
    275
    5.9
    51.7
    Almonds
    2.25
    oz (22 whole kernels)
    369
    32.3
    12.6
    13.6
    Apple, raw
    medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb)
    215
    0.7
    57.2
    1.1
    Oranges, raw, navels
    fruit (2-7/8″ dia)
    137
    35.1
    2.5
    Turkey or chicken breast, prepackaged or deli, luncheon meat
    0.85
    lb
    401
    6.4
    16.2
    65.8
    Carrots, raw
    large (7-1/4″ to 8-1/2″ long)
    0.3
    49.3
    Protein
    178.8
    720
    Alcohol

Fat (36%) Carbs (32%)
    Protein (32%) Alcohol (0%)

28. Baden says:

0.5 oz walnuts
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    8 oz almond milk
    protein powder

29. sjtitus says:

Food Name Amount Unit Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g)
    Milk, whole 439 23.8 33.1 23.6
    Celery, raw 6 0.1 1.2 0.3

Total 1,867 86.0 230.1 74.1

Fat ( 39 %)
    Carbs ( 45 %)
    Protein ( 15 %)

30. Mike V says:

TOTAL (2913 calories, 36.0% fat, 22.4% carb, 41.6% protein)

BREAKFAST (1.5% fat, 93.9% carb, 4.6% protein)
    Coffee, espresso 4 espresso cup (2 fl oz) 5 0.4 0.0 0.3
    Coffee, espresso, decaffeinated 4 espresso cup (2 fl oz) 0 0.4 0.0 0.2
    Orange juice, Odwalla 16 fl oz 220 0.0 50.0 2.0
    Banana, raw 1 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) 105 0.4 27.0 1.3

LUNCH (52.4% fat, 13.8% carb, 33.8% protein)
    Primal Pizza Dough (1 serving = 1 Pizza) 0.5 serving 831 74.5 24.4 6.3
    Lemon, raw 2 wedge or slice (1/8 of one 2-1/8″ dia lemon) 4 0.0 1.3 0.2
    Cucumber, raw 1 cup, unpared, chopped 17 0.2 3.1 0.8
    Blackberries, raw 0.25 cup 15 0.2 3.5 0.5
    Ground beef or patty, cooked 10 oz, cooked 740 48.1 0.0 71.5

DINNER (34.5% fat, 16.6% carb, 48.9% protein)
    Tuna, fresh, raw 4 oz, boneless, raw 122 1.1 0.0 26.5

Banana, raw 3 large (8″ to 8-7/8″ long) 363 1.3 93.2 4.4
    Egg omelet or scrambled egg 2 large egg 192 14.3 2.3 13.6
    Mushrooms, cooked 0.5 cup 38 2.2 4.2 1.7
    Protein powder 35 grams 140 2.5 3.0 27.0
    Turkey 4 medium slice (approx 3″ x 2″ x 1/4″) 209 7.9 0.0 32.4
    Tomatoes, raw 2 thin/small slice 5 0.1 1.2 0.3
    Chicken, wing, skin not eaten 8 small wing (yield after cooking, bone and skin removed) 274 11.0 0.0 41.1
    Carrots, raw 4 large (7-1/4″ to 8-1/2″ long) 118 0.7 27.6 2.7
    Beef, roast, roasted 4 medium slice (approx 4-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ x 1/4″) 448 29.1 0.0 43.5
    almond Milk 1 serving 70 2.5 10.0 2.0
    Protein powder 35 grams 140 2.5 3.0 27.0
    Total 2,499 87.0 245.6 201.8
    Fat (31%) Carbs (36%)
    Protein (33%) Alcohol (0%)

32. KP says:

Better late than never…

Banana, raw 1 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) 105 0.4 27.0 1.3
    Egg, whole, boiled 2 medium 136 9.3 1.0 11.0
    Lettuce, arugula, raw 1.5 cup 8 0.2 1.1 0.8
    Olives, black 6 medium 25 2.3 1.5 0.2
    Tomatoes, raw 0.25 cup, cherry tomato 7 0.1 1.5 0.3
    Walnuts 1 oz (14 halves) 185 18.5 3.9 4.3
    Turkey or chicken breast, prepackaged or deli, luncheon meat 2 slice (1 oz) 59 0.9 2.4 9.7
    Olive oil 1 tablespoon 119 13.5 0.0 0.0
    Vinegar, balsamic 2 tbsp 28 0.0 5.4 0.2
    Almonds, roasted 0.25 cup 238 21.7 6.9 8.3
    Raspberries, raw 1 cup 64 0.8 14.7 1.5
    Salmon, baked or broiled 1 medium salmon steak (5/8″ thick) 243 10.7 0.7 34.0
    Beans, string, green, cooked 1 cup 82 4.3 10.7 2.5
    Squash, winter type, baked 1 cup, cubes, all varieties 151 4.2 29.6 1.7
    Walnuts 0.5 oz (14 halves) 93 9.2 1.9 2.2

Calories: 1543
    Fat (54%) Carbs (26%) Protein (20%) Alcohol (0%)

33. suemac says:

Total 1,468 50.4 134.9 131.8
    almond milk 1 serving 60 2.5 8.0 1.0
    Apple, raw 2 medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb) 144 0.5 38.1 0.7
    Banana, raw 2 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) 210 0.8 53.9 2.6
    Almonds 1 oz (22 whole kernels) 164 14.4 5.6 6.0
    Chicken, breast 1 medium breast (yield after cooking, bone removed) 383 15.1 0.0 57.9
    Egg omelet or scrambled egg 2 large egg 192 14.3 2.3 13.6
    Berries, raw 2 cup 95 0.9 23.0 2.0
    Whey protein powder 2 serving 220 2.0 4.0 48.0
    green tea 3 serving 0 0.0 0.0 0.0
    Total 1,468 50.4 134.9 131.8
    Fat (30%) Carbs (34%)
    Protein (36%) Alcohol (0%)

34. eric says:

Pork, fresh, loin, country-style ribs, separable lean only, …
    oz
    560
    33.6
    60.3
    GNC Whey Protein powder
    grams
    200
    3.0
    12.0
    34.0
    Banana, raw
    medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long)
    210
    0.8
    53.9
    2.6
    Coffee
    fl oz
    1.1
    Splenda
    serving
    1.0
    Apple, raw
    medium (2-3/4″ dia) (approx 3 per lb)
    19.1
    Mixed salad greens, raw
    cup, shredded or chopped
    5.3
    2.5
    Cucumber, raw
    slice
    0.6
    Broccoli, raw
    cup, chopped
    0.3
    5.8
    2.5
    Sea bass, baked or broiled
    oz, boneless, cooked
    252
    9.9
    0.8
    37.7
    1,366
    48.4
    99.0
    141.2

Fat (32%) Carbs (26%)
    Protein (42%) Alcohol (0%)

35. Joseph says: