Thursday: 101014

Posted: October 13, 2010 by Todd Katz in Nutrition, Primal Challenge, Uncategorized, WODs
Tags: ,

Mid Week Notes: Saturday October 30th 7:30 Lululemon Athletica at Tysons Corner will be offering 15% off to Hammer Down members. Happy Hour to follow at Coastal Flats.

For time:
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
10 Muscle-ups
40 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
8 Muscle-ups
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
6 Muscle-ups
20 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
4 Muscle-ups
10 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
2 Muscle-ups

Chris Spealler 8:27, Jason Khalipa 10:20, Jaime Loera 12:15, Kim Malz 13:02 (14lb ball, bar MU), Adrian Bozman 13:11, Kristan Clever 14:05 (16lb ball), Miranda Oldroyd 17:21 (14lb ball), Rebecca Voigt 19:43 (16lb ball), Heather Bergeron 19:52 (14lb ball).

Post time to comments:

Primal Challenge Day 18:

Post Food log to comments:

And for you bio chem geeks… enjoy.

Comments
  1. Katona says:

Breakfast Fun

So my very wonderful boyfriend is also a great cook. Whenever we have fish for dinner–especially lobster, shrimp or a nice mild white fish (bass, trout, rockfish, etc)–he always cooks extra. The next morning he throws it into the pan before adding the whisked eggs and we have a lobster or trou scramble for breakfast. I can say that it’s always been good no matter the fish and I don’t usually like leftover fish at all. It gives the eggs a nice flavor, you get a protein boost to your meal and you don’t waste any leftovers. So, the next morning you open your fridge to some leftover fish just toss it in with the eggs and give it a try. I think you’ll really enjoy the variation in your typical scramble!

• dina dew (Pebs) says:

Have done that before (without the fabulous boyfriend cook as part of the equation) and it is great! Thanks for sharing that tasty trick.

2. dina dew (Pebs) says:

registered for the seminar/certification. :-)

3. Katona says:

Salmon Burger Recipe

1 teaspoon wasabi powder
    1 teaspoon water
    ½ teaspoon dried mustard or whole mustard seeds
    4 ounces wild salmon fillet
    1 egg white, lightly beaten
    ½ tablespoon fake soy sauce or 1 tsp of sea salt

In a medium-sized bowl mix water with wasabi powder and whisk until blended.

Put mixture in blender or food processor with mustard, salmon, egg white, fake soy sauce, and pulse until blended together–don’t over blend!

The mixture will be chunkier than a batter, but you won’t be able to form patties for the grill.

Heat up a pan witha little oil and spoon mixture onto hot pan–about 1/2 cup per burger. Should be about 3 minutes on the first side, then flip to cook the other side. Remove when cooked to a desired done-ness.

I recommend topping the burger with some quickly grilled green onion stalks and serving with riced cauliflower and steamed veggies–sort of an asian flavored meal.

Enjoy!

4. Matt V says:

16:40 with 2MU transitions for each MU

5. Devin says:

13:05 rx

6. Mike V says:

25:35 with20# wb and 2x transitions.

7. salbec says:

mod wod 50-40-30-20-10 of both
    45# front squats and
    back extensions

12:00 even.

Nutrition: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1287014400.

8. KC says:

23:06
    14# ball, 2x transitions… transitions did not make sense until the last two rounds. it was like a lightbulb…

9. Kevin says:

MOD WOD 50-40-30-20-10 of both
    45# front squats and
    back extensions

13:13

10. Cindy says:

Here is a link to a great breakfast burrito recipe, grain free:

11. Wee Ali says:

16:12 (14lbs WB, MU transitions)

12. dina dew (Pebs) says:

27:02, 20# WB, MUT — whew, how fun was that?! Great crew today at 10:30. Thanks all for the support and encouragement. Great having you with me at the end Baden. What a freakin’ inspiration you are.

13. Lil' B says:

22:31 20# WB, and jumping MU.

14. Kathleen L says:

13:46 Mod Wod – 50,40,30,20,10 – 35# front squats and back extensions.

Great to suffer through this with Kevin this morning! Thanks for setting the pace.

Food Name Amount Unit Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g) Delete
    Total 880 45.9 42.4 78.1
    Banana, raw 1 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) 105 0.4 27.0 1.3
    Lettuce, salad with assorted vegetables including tomatoes a… 4 cup 51 0.5 11.1 2.5
    Turkey bacon, cooked 3 thin slice (yield after cooking) 92 6.7 0.7 7.1
    Muscle Milk Protein Shake 1 serving 130 2.0 3.0 26.0
    Chicken, breast, skin not eaten 4 oz 186 4.0 0.0 34.9
    Olive oil 2 tablespoon 239 27.0 0.0 0.0
    Egg, whole, boiled 1 large 77 5.3 0.6 6.3
    Total 880 45.9 42.4 78.1

Fat (46%) Carbs (18%)
    Protein (36%) Alcohol (0%)

15. Chad Van Horn says:

23:00 (mod) 16 pound ball and jumping muscle up

16. Drewish princess says:

20:34 Rx

17. Lou says:

18:36
    #20 wall ball
    MU’s with band from knees.
    (Best we could do) and it worked cause my shoulders are on fire

18. JBL says:

20:59 muscle up trans weight 234

was a bitch today!

19. Katona says:

Being a huge fan of Chipotle I am on this great e-mail list for them. I just got an email about the annual Boorito costume contest. Every year they have a promotion where you basically get a free menu entrée if you dress like a burrito. This year they are asking you to pay only $2 (to go to charity) if you dress up as a scary processed food item. I got to thinking that one thing I have not shared is what you can actually eat from Chipotle during the challenge, because I have already done the research. Absolutely safe items are:
    Lettuce (duh)
    Carnitas (Pork)
    Mild Tomato Salsa
    Medium Salsa Verde
    Guacamole

Some of you might be thinking—what about the chicken, steak or fajita vegetables??? Both the chicken and steak are marinated and according to the nutrition information there is at least some form of sugar in the marinade. Now, Chipotle is pretty natural, so it’s not white sugar. It might be honey or it might be from the sweet peppers or perhaps a fruit they add to the marinade. I’m not sure, but I would say it is safe for after the challenge. The Pork does not have sugar of any type and is not cooked in any oil. Which brings me to why you can’t have the fajita vegetables. Chipotle uses soybean oil to cook items at their restaurant, so the veggies are out. I say just toss some in some olive oil at home and add them because they make a really delicious combination. After the challenge I think the dressing will actually be okay to eat with the salad (I hope because it is soooo good). I’m pretty sure it is sweetened with honey. I never get the hot salsa, so I don’t know if it is okay.

Below is a blurb from the Chipotle website on Boorito 2010:
    Chipotle has a long-standing tradition of rewarding customers who dress up as their favorite menu item on Halloween. This year, we are doing things differently and putting the focus on ‘The Horrors of Processed Food.’ So dress up as the scariest, most processed food you can imagine and visit any Chipotle on Halloween night from 6 pm to close. We’ll give you a burrito, bowl, salad, or an order of tacos filled with freshly cooked, naturally raised ingredients for only $2.

• Todd Katz says:

Hey Kathy, the sugar content in their meat marinade is negligble and because you’re eating it with protein you’re getting that glucagon (counter regulatory hormone to insulin)… I’d say the meat is safe. I wasn’t aware of the vegtable cooking until you mentioned it… RATS!!!!!!!

• Katona says:

Cool thanks for that info! I Love the catbirds, but I like a little diversity! I too love the fajita veggies–flavor and texture–but that heaping pile of guac they give you almost makes it okay :p

• Katona says:

By catbirds I mean carnitas. Haha. Iphone auto-corrects and I am publish-button happy. For the record I don’t eat cats. I do like chicken, turkey, duck, quail and other birds, though. ;)

20. KVP (Kelly) says:

day of rest! woo!
    weighed myself
    lunch-
    Fat (54%) Carbs (18%)
    Protein (28%) Alcohol (0%)

21. April says:

Weigh in

24:39 2x transition..Note to self keep elbows close…need work!

22. Dave says:

Rest day…

chicken breast 8 oz
    apple 1 med
    raw Blue Cheese 1 oz
    pecans .5 oz
    lettuce 3 cups
    cal 525
    Fat 34%
    Carbs 25
    Protein 40%

23. Kate P says:

100 sit-ups for time – 5.58 (almost 2 minutes faster than a few weeks ago)

24. Tim N says:

20:13 mod MU x2, 20# WB

25. Heather says:

14# and dips (half count)
    21:21

4 pullups
    4 pushups

21:38 minutes

WEIGHT:
    157.5#

NUTRITION:

Also got my challenge of 16 straight pullups. I actually did 17 straight.

27. Katona says:

13/44/43 c/f/p

And I got 1,951 calories for the day (once I eat dinner)! I’m full as a rhinoceros but I’m trying to get those calories up!

Weighed myself

Much needed rest day (tomorrow too). See y’all on Saturday!!!

28. Davie says:

Usual breakfast – Fat (59%) Carbs (11%)
    Protein (30%) Alcohol (0%)

Workout

5 rounds of

5mins to do 800m run plus max thrusters 42.5kg
    Rest 3 mins

Round 1 – 10 reps
    Round 2 – 11 reps
    Round 3 – 7 reps
    Round 4 – 5 reps
    Round 5 – 6 reps

29. NickyB says:

22:39 20#WB/Jumping MUT 1st round+5 of 2nd/MUT from knee’s for the rest.

165#
    Breakfast
    Coffee 1 mug (8 fl oz) 2 0.0 0.1 0.3
    Banana, raw 1 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) 105 0.4 27.0 1.3
    Egg, whole, boiled 1 large 77 5.3 0.6 6.3
    Almond Milk 2 serving 120 5.0 16.0 2.0
    Protein powder 62 grams 248 5.6 30.4 19.2
    Bacon, cooked 4 thin slice (yield after cooking) 108 8.4 0.3 7.4
    Strawberries, raw 1 cup 49 0.5 11.7 1.0
    Total 710 25.1 86.0 37.5
    Fat 32% Carbs 46% Protein 22%

30. Jett aka Sweet Potato says:

9 points today

weighed myself

Sarah and anyone else who enjoyed the shrimp cakes on Sunday…here is the recipe :)
    (I doubled everything from this recipe for the potluck)

1 lb raw shrimp (shelled/deveined)
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    1 teaspoon minced jalapeno

In a food processor pulse shrimp, coconut milk, cilantro and pepper until ingredients are combined yet still chunky. Heat several tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat (I used coconut oil). Use a tablespoon to measure for bite size shrimp cakes (this is what I did), form into a ball and place in pan and flatten it a little to look like a burger. Cook each side 2-3 minutes until nicely browned.

For Coconut Almond Dressing:

2 tablespoons lime juice
    2 teaspoons almond butter
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    1 tablespoon cilantro
    1 tablespoon mint
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    pinch of sea salt

Mix lime juice and 2 teaspoons of warm water with almond butter until almond butter has a slightly runnier consistency. Then whisk in the rest of the ingredients. Season to individual taste with additional salt/herbs/red pepper flakes.

31. Haley says:

Kinda glad I was traveling today!
    Again, calories too low but ratios good.

Amtrak 1st class actually had a salad with grilled chicken that was big and good, left off the dressing and took off the noodles but otherwise OK. WTG Amtrak!

For those travelers out there I highly reccomend sunsweet singles (prunes). They are great when you want a small sweet something. Throw them in your laptop bag. 2 of them are just 50 calores and there are no other ingedients. Yum!

32. Jimmy says:

24:54 @ X transition

33. Kristi says:

Travel WOD: Annie with push ups instead of sit ups. 24:23. Wasn’t pretty .. have whip marks all over. Food logged into FitDay

34. Cindy says:

So. I have a dilemma. Where does one draw the Paleo line? I generally cook everything from scratch, but tonight used a jar of Mae Ploy red curry paste. All the ingredients in it are Paleo – garlic, shallots, dried red chilis, etc. There’s no chemicals or preservatives or artificial color or anything! Just because it’s been pre-mixed, do I get kicked out of the Cavemen Club??

1 head of cabbage, sliced
    1 medium eggplant, cubed
    1 red onion, diced
    2 cans of coconut milk
    1-2 tablespoons of curry paste (depends upon how spicy you like it)
    3 fresh basil leaves
    3 fresh lime leaves, optional (found at Asian markets)

Put the sliced cabbage into a large skillet. Pour in 2 cans of coconut milk, cover and let cook until the cabbage cooks down to about half it’s original size. This should take about 10 minutes.

Add the eggplant and onion. Push aside some of the veggies and add the curry paste directly into the coconut milk. Mix well so that there are no clumps left. Cook covered until the eggplant softens. I cooked mine for about 15 minutes.

Once the dish is done, turn off the heat and add the whole basil and optional lime leaves. Let the flavors seep into the dish for about 10 minutes.Check out this website http://www.sweetcheekshq.com This looked yummy

35. Heather Cox says:

19:06 – 14#, dips (2x)

2 eggs, onions, tomatoes, ham, turkey bacon

1496

34 fat / 40 carb / 26 protein

36. Darby says:

The first day off in a very long time… time to study for calculus!

37. Mazz says:

WOD: wbs RX, Muscle Ups (modifed 10,8,6, 4, 2) – 21:20

38. G says:

16:40 (Ring Dips-band)

Fat (14%) Carbs (27%)
    Protein (59%) Alcohol (0%)

weight 178 lbs.

39. Jon says:

Operation “eat 3,500 calories a day” has hit a roadblock today. I’ll be at 3,082 when I finish dinner, and I doubt I’ll have much more room in my stomach after that. The good news is that I did it with all real food, didn’t drink any shakes, and the only coconut milk I consumed was the little bit that was in my curry.

Fat-58%/Carbs-19%/Protein-23%

40. Drew says:

23:30 (16lb, muscle up trans)

41. Eric says:

Knocked out with a one day bug. Hope to be there in the am. Love the bear!

42. Leigh N says:

21:45 14# MU transition……Not sure I have that technique down…..but tried

Lunch:

2 TBSP almond butter
    Apple
    2 Hard Boiled Eggs

I was starving after that workout!

9 Points

43. RichW says:

23:59

20# WB
    Jumping MUs – 20, 8, 6, 4, 2

Great WOD. Next time around, full up muscle-ups!

44. Erin says:

28:11- MUT (as best I could), 14# wb

45. Carol says:

Weight 98

Breakfast: 393 F(37%); C(33%); P(30%)
    Eggs, ham, coffee, almond milk, cantelope, salsa

Total: 2,433 F(34%); C(38%); P(28%)
    Best ratio for the day I have had in a long time.

46. Steve Titus says:

weight: 192.7
    delta: 6.3

50. KC says:

Breakfast (again):
    Almond milk protein shake
    Banana
    Fat (30%), Carbs (33%), Prot (37%)

51. Todd Katz says:

Mod Wod:
    50,40,30,20,10
    45# Front Squat
    Back Extenions..

16:54

52. yeahman55 says:

Not RX jumping and band on the MU’s so I had to take a penilty 20:41.

53. Danielle says:

Wod @ Adaptation
    “Nate”
    AMRAP 20 min
    2 mucle up – subbed 6 pull ups – red band 6 ring dips – blue band
    4 hand stand push ups – progressions
    8 KB swing – 26lbs

8 rds

weighed

moved to the red band today!!!!