Sad News

Posted: July 14, 2012 by Todd Katz in Uncategorized

I learned early this morning that one of our members Nicole McPherson lost her battle with cancer. For those of you who don’t know Nicole, she had a heart of a lion with the soul of a teddy bear. Nicole had joined us at Hammer Down not too long after we opened up and she always gave everything she had to every workout. For the longest time, Nicole would work out at the 6 am class and almost always she was there before I arrived either running or working on her double unders. She worked so hard and saw results very fast. A little after a year, Nicole received an appointment to train to become a police officer in Baltimore County. She had worked really hard to physically stand up to the challenge and earn her spot. She was an inspiring CrossFiter and watching her fight cancer over the last year she was also an inspiring Human Being that was taken too early from us. Please keep your thoughts and prayers toward Nicole and her family.

I am not certain as to a memorial service yet but as I or anyone finds out more information, please put into a comment in this post.

Todd

Comments
  1. stricklin says:

I remember Nicole. She had a great heart.

2. hammerdowncougar says:

I am crushed by the news. Nicole was incredibly inspirational and would usually be first to the box every morning running before the WOD. She helped me set and came to a number of my hash house harrier runs. Always giving 110 percent. She was a kind wonderful driven person who didn’t let anything stand in her way if she set her mind to a goal. She fought the cancer like she took on life, with detemination and resolve. So sorry she lost the battle but I knew she fought it with everythinh she had. She will be missed

3. Frank O says:

I met her on my very first day at HDCF. I arrived at 5:30 am on a Monday morning in order to get the proper paperwork filled out. She was out front in the dark doing double unders. There were no other cars in the parking lot. She introduced herself and proceeded to tell me that she had jogged to the box and was now trying to master her double unders !! I thought to myself ” what the f..k am I getting myself into….. this girl is HARDCORE! ” I was hooked after day 1. She made such a great impression on me. Extremely hard worker.
    May she rest in peace.

4. drewish princess says:

Life is unknown to us all………RIP Nicole

5. Jon Worley says:

Nicole was always really nice to me and was always encouraging to everyone at the box. It’s hard to believe that was just a year ago and now she’s gone. We should all keep in mind how fleeting life is and live every day to the fullest, just like she did. She was a good person and will be missed.

6. ched20 says:

I didn’t know Nicole since I only joined the box pretty recently, but I think in true CrossFit fashion we should dedicate a HDCF WOD to her. It’s the least we could do to celebrate the life of one of our own members. Seems like running and double-unders could be part of the WOD since she was always working on those.

7. Jamie Roberson says:

Hello CrossFit folk. I’m a close friend of Nicole’s and am devastated by this loss. There is information on Nicole’s facebook page about a memorial this coming Saturday in Columbus, OH, where she was being treated before she passed. There also is a local memorial in the works, tentatively set for Aug. 4. I hope to meet many of you there. She always held you all in high esteem.

• Shanda Bohannon (Nicole's Sister) says:

Here is the info on the memorial service: Saturday July 21st at 1:00PM with visitation at 12:00 at Schoedinger Grove City Chapel 3920 Broadway, Grove City, OH 43123. Would love to meet some of you there. I’ve heard so many stories about you all, but how sweet to read your stories about her. Thank you for your kind words and prayers during this time. I know that you all will miss her as much as her family.